Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Well then

It's 3:30 pm on the second day after moving to Austin last Friday (the weekend doesn't count here, since Danny also came down to Austin for the weekend so it's likely I would have been here anyway just to hang out) and I'm bored. It's kind of strange moving to a new city where you don't know too many people and when you don't have any plans. Counting my host, Jonathan, I know well a grand total of three people in Austin: Jonathan, my brother, and my aunt. These people are busy during the day (well, my brother is busy at night working as a bar back, so he's sleeping until mid-afternoon) which leaves me to my thoughts and devices.

Yesterday, for example, I carpe diemed the shit out of the day by going to Target, Randall's (a grocery store that's too expensive for me to be shopping there), a few thrift stores, and the movies. Add in a bunch of tv, and you'll begin to see what I'm up against here. Today I tried to look for a sketch pad at Hobby Lobby, but Hobby Lobby wasn't where Google Maps said it was, so I went thrifting and to a different grocery store to get Guacamole fixins. Let me tell you something about guacamole: make sure your avocado is ripe enough! The internet told me that there should be a little give when you squeeze it, but apparently I didn't allow enough give and I ended up with an unripe avocado that I could not mash with a fork so I tried cutting it into a bunch of little pieces to see if I could mash those, but that didn't work either so I guess I'll have to get another avocado. My cilantro, lime, salt, and roma tomato will just have to wait, I guess. I'm going to let it sit to see if it gets any softer before I give up.

After the guacamole mishap, I ate an orange in the dark. It's dark in here because if you open the blinds to allow in natural light it gets really hot. Cloud cover is also moderate to heavy so it's pretty dark. And that's the story of how my blog was named. More later, perhaps?

No comments: